Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Long Weekend










Well since Geoff had to work all summer we decided that we would take the first school holiday weekend and go somewhere. Well that was just a few days ago, Columbus day! We debated between heading towards Salem, MA. or going up to Niagra Falls. We decided on Friday night we would head North. We booked a hotel in Canada for Saturday night but left Sunday open. We got up early and headed out. It is a beautiful time of year to be driving. The leaves are so vibrant and full of color. I did sleep the first hour but that is okay because it was still dark outside.






We arrived at the Falls around 11:00am. I thought they were beautiful. The whole area is. I did understand why everyone says you need to go to the Canadian side. The American side may have some better access to the falls but the view by far is better from the Canadian side. We took the maid of the Mist boat ride. Mainly you get wet! Really wet! The park around the falls was a nice place to sit back and take it all in, and a good place for the younger boys to wrestle!






We had a great hotel, the biggest one that Jake has been in!!! We went swimming and crashed at bedtime. Well at least me. We slowly got moving and checked out and headed to Rochester to The Strong Museum. A great place, we were having a blast. One last stop the Harry Potter area and the boys were making magic wands. I sat my hand full of stuff down so that I could assist in the many demands on me (how do you roll this, i need tape, where is the paper, I want a silver one). Finally, not only have we made magic wands but wizard hats too! Now, I need to get a picture. Oh! wait I can't because someone has stolen my camera, and most importantly all the great pictures from the day! I mean I really had some great pictures. Well I let it ruin my day for awhile, I am still sore about it! So no pictures but it was a great place.






Off to our next destination. Palmyra. Now we haven't ever been to this area and we don't know where we are staying. The miles are getting closer and we are yet to see a Hotel. We get into Palmyra and pull over to a gas station. I go in an ask and they tell me that there is one hotel in the town. We cross our fingers (so far we had been lucky, managed to get over the border without my birth certificate) and yes we pull up to the Palmyra Inn and they have a vacancy! McDonald's drive-thru is dinner. And to the hot tub the boys and I go!






We get up the next morning (yesterday) and get going, by 9:30 we are out the door and headed out. We start at the furthest church history site and work our way towards Hill Cumorah. It was all so amazing. Beautiful, interesting and well amazing! We saw a lot of great things, and I learned a lot too! It was 3:30 and we hadn't stopped yet, we know we have about a 3.5 hour drive a head of us and the kids have school so we head out! Thankfully we bought a new camera and have pictures to show of this day! Words alone don't do justice!

No comments: